Wednesday, September 28, 2011

For the Love of Unicorns: An Etsy Treasury

Have I ever told you I love unicorns? I love them pretty much indiscriminately. From the bad ass stab-every-one-who-gets-in-my-way Medieval ones, to the glittery pink rainbow and dreams ones, to the somewhere-in-the-middle tacky 1970's ones that are so often found decoupaged and shellacked onto slices of wood ones. Recently, I was lurking around the local Goodwill when I saw an older woman walk by with a huge wooden picture/clock of the 1970's variety featuring unicorns in a magical glen, it took so much of my will power not to shout "Look over there!" while I stole the clock from her cart and made a run for the register. I was so jealous. But I'm not really here today to tell you about the awful and mean things I would do to old ladies in the name of unicorns, instead, I want to showcase some of my favorite handmade unicorn themed things from Etsy!



The unicorn I probably am most fond of is the unicorn of the Medieval variety. I love it for it's strangeness, it sometimes looks hardly anything like the typical horse-with-a-horn styled unicorn that is depicted nowadays, and I love it for its aforementioned bad-assery. It's never shown running along glittering rainbows into dream land. The Medieval unicorn is either peacefully content being it's bad ass self, or about ready to stab someone with it's horn.

So I have a couple of beat up old unicorn related books. Want to read something interesting about unicorns? Check out this page with a brief history of unicorns throughout the ages.

I would love to create some new jewelery pieces featuring the unicorn, both the girly glittery kind, and the more regal kind. I am not exactly sure how I want to go about doing this, but I do have a few ideas floating around, from sculpting my own unicorn head and making a mold around it and making my own custom cabochons (something I've been waiting to try ever since I started casting resin) or maybe something simpler, like featuring unicorn art in some resin brooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment